Dhanak has organized a seminar on “Mixed Marriages – Challenges and Potential” on November 26, 2016. We have invited distinguished speakers engaged in this domain to participate in the seminar. We would be delighted and honored if you can spare some time from your schedule to attend this seminar.
VENUE: Jawaharlal Nehru National Youth Centre (ND Tiwari Bhawan)
219, 2nd Floor, Deendayal Upadhyaya Marg, (Near ITO Crossing), New Delhi
Date & Time: 26th November, 2016; 3 PM TO 6 PM
To understand whether religion is really divisive or misinterpreted for vested reasons by religious gurus, and;
To put the same question of mixed marriages before different religions vis-à- vis individual rights enshrined in the constitution of India.
The participants in the discussion will comprise aspiring and married couples with inter-religion/caste background and individuals with diverse background.
Prof. Rita Bagchi (Former Professor of Hindu Philosophy and Religions at Jamia Hamdard),
Shri. Ghulam Rasool Dehlvi (Independent Writer & Scholar, Researcher in Culture and Communication Studies, Jamia Millia Islamia)
Dr. M D Thomas (Director, Institute of Harmony and Peace Studies)
Please contact Asif at: 8750157676 for any questions.
February 14, 2016
Strengthening Alliances for Humanity and Secularism
Delhi School of Social Work, North Delhi
Registration and Tea (10.00 am – 10.30 am)
Session 1 (10.30 am – 12.00 pm) – Religion and Social Change
Ms. Sheeba Aslam Fehmi, Prof. Manoj Jha, Mr. Avinash Patil and Mr. Hilal Ahmed and Sharing by Participants
Session 2 (12:00 pm – 1:00 pm) – Ways in Which People in Mixed Marriage Respond/React to Challenges in Social Interactions with Others
12.00 pm– 12.45 pm — Sharing by couples in mixed marriage (Neeraj & Javed and Ranu & Asif) followed by Interaction with participants
12.45 pm – 1.15 pm — Felicitation of Couples and Parents
LUNCH (1.15 pm – 2.00 pm)
Celebration of Love – The Basis for Universal Peace and Humanity
2.00 pm– 2.45 pm — Taking the Message of Peace to People around the venue
CULTURAL EVENING (3.00 pm – 4.30 pm)
Songs by Couples, Individuals and Participating Organizations
Closing of event with songs by Vinay and Charul from Loknaad
HIGH TEA (4.30 pm – 5.00 pm)
A Consortium of Organizations/Individuals Working on Right to Choose in Marriage and Relationships
New Delhi (Conference Room at Delhi School of Social Work)
Tentative Program Schedule
13 Feb 2016, 3:00 – 3:15 PM
SHARING ABOUT CHAYAN:
By Sh. Avinash Patil (MANS) & Asif Iqbal (DHANAK)
3:15 – 4:00 PM
Sharing by the Participants about their Work and Status of RTC in their work area
4:00 – 4:30 PM
4:30 – 5:30 PM
DISCUSSION ON THE STRUCTURE OF CHAYAN:
5:30 – 6:00 PM
6:00 PM onwards
— Also known as court marriage
Click on the link to open the document — Information about marriage solemnization and registration
CHAYAN meet on 4th and 5th November 2014 at Pune, Maharashtra
Greetings from DHANAK & MANS!
Organizations viz. Association for Advocacy and Legal Initiatives (Lucknow), DHANAK (Delhi), Nirantar (Delhi), Rashtriya Dalit Mahila Andolan (Delhi) and Mahila Swarozgar Sangh (Banaras) jointly formed “CHAYAN- A Consortium for Promotion of Right to Choose in marriage/alliance” on 24th November 2012 at Delhi with the following objectives:
- Knowledge Sharing: Forming an e-group and sharing information on that group for regular updates on issues. The shared information can be used for advocacy.
- Reaching out to different groups: academicians, media, civil societies, and other stakeholders
- Policy Change: Especially in the Special Marriage Act (SMA)
- Condemnation: Written condemnation of the acts of denial of right to choice, harassment, dis-honour killings, acid attacks, etc. on couples or individual supporting inter-faith alliances on behalf of the CHAYAN and seeking action on such cases
- Six-monthly meetings: to be held at the National Level
- Research: Conducting studies on the issue of the cases that have been framed as Kidnaps by the police or family etc and presenting facts to influence public opinion
- Sharing of Good Practices: In 2010, Chandigarh High Court passed a judgment that those couples facing threat to their lives could seek refuge in state-run Shelter Homes. Such cases could be highlighted in front of the wider audience
After its formation, CHAYAN organized 2 meetings on 19th October 2013 and 15th February 2014 at Delhi for the discussions on legal and systemic challenges related to the Right to Choose. These meetings also helped in increasing the number of member organizations in CHAYAN.
The next CHAYAN meeting is being organized by Maharashtra Andhshraddha Nirmulan Samiti (MANS) at Pune, Maharashtra on 4th and 5th November 2014. The agendas for the proposed meeting are:
- Formation of working committee or CHAYAN
- Presentation of state report by participating organizations
- Finalization & release of 1st draft of policy paper by CHAYAN
You are requested to book your travel tickets accordingly. MANS and DHANAK is not in capacity to reimburse your travel expenses therefore, you are requested to arrange and manage your tour expenses. However, we will be pleased to arrange for your food and stay during your period of 2-3 days at Pune.
With best wishes,
Avinash Patil (09404870432)
Madhav Bawge (09404870435)
Asif Iqbal (08750157676)